Thursday 1 May 2014

Kate Moss For Topshop

I, just like you have now seen all the pictures from the hotly anticipated launch, witnessed the queues and the flashbulbs as I trundled home from work. I am a fan of Kate Moss, but not of her latest collection. 

I had hoped that this new, higher end range sold at Topshop & Net-a-Porter would make me giddy with excitement and would make me want to spend the entirety of my rent and then some purchasing its delectable offerings but alas, it has left me a little cold. 

The collection, the first since 2010 is very Kate Moss, but not the Ms Moss I wanted to see. There is a lot of fringing and extra embellishments that Joe Bloggs (however fashion literate they claim to be) just cannot pull off. I have taken particular offence to the Diamante Velvet Top; It is clunky and boring; it all feels a little dated.  

I understand and can comprehend that Kate’s style and therefore collection is meant to be timeless however, her aesthetic has evolved from the ‘Glastonbury Glamour’ that this collection heavily relies on. It feels as if we have not left 2010 and I am still drifting through the sartorial sludge of my early twenties. 

The Pyjama collection is the most recent trend found in the range but even that feels a little contrived and out of place. (That being said, this is my favourite piece and I will purchase this as soon as I have finished typing) Some fabric choices are very trend led, however I suspect this has just been an effort to tie this in with the (in my opinion) far superior boutique collection and the patterned fabrics seen there rather than to create a cohesive capsule collection of it's own. 



It all seems very out of place within the current climes of SS14. 

Maybe I had hoped for too much, I had placed too much faith in the original magic of the collection & wanted it the replicate that excitement. Maybe I have just outgrown it, either way, my rent money is completely safe this month. That makes me want to cry. 

See the whole collection here.

No comments:

Post a Comment