Wednesday 20 August 2014

#WantItWednesday (20/08/14)

I am feeling sad. I'm sad because summer is definitely over and I know I have to start wearing jackets and extra layers . My umbrella is beginning to disintegrate under the strain of rain of biblical proportions and constant battles with the wind; who I might add is winning the war against me not falling over in the street. 

Very little gets me out of this morose funk, one such event is evenings spent (well, more an entire day) with friends in front of a cosy pub fireplace with warming wine and hearty fare; Another one that is far less questionable during the working week are jumpers.  

I love a jumper. I am partial to a pullover. I swoon over a sweater.  Many of you who know me are aware that my drawers and wardrobes full to bursting with woolly wonders. 

So it's only right, on this miserable Wednesday that I cheer myself up (and you) with my favourite selection of sweet sweaters to make the transition from summer to autumn that little bit nicer. 

Jumpers are amazing because they are versatile, they can be quirky and in the early autumn can add warmth and comfort a cardigan just cannot achieve. I think a good jumper is like being hugged all day long and that's just too good to pass up!

During the first autumnal months your breezy summer dresses and skirts can be layered with tights (the higher the denier, the closer to heaven) and your trusty jumper. 

When the cold sets in replace the tights with sturdy wool cigarette trousers, a crisp shirt (Mandarin collars are an especially chic touch) and a warming pea coat. It'll make you feel like you've stepped out of the detective agency of your film Noir fantasies (add a striking red lip if you really want to go for it.) rather than stepping out of your office with the wind and rain whipping your hair out of shape. 

When it comes to jumpers, I've three categories that tend to never fail me:
Utility jumpers, these can be worn all day, all night can easily be dressed up or down and would look amazing if you were moving house or moving from pub to pub on a lazy, lazy Sunday. 
Emotional jumpers, these are for days when you want to pretend it's still summer, or want to make yourself (and others) chuckle. These are eye catching and attention grabbing that will do your talking for you. 
Comfort jumpers, jumpers you'll want to spend the rest of your life in and then some. 

I have picked some of my favourites from all categories to up your jumper game and make autumn feel a little less daunting. 

Utility Jumpers

I cannot and will not start this without talking about my favourite jumpers of all time. The American Apparel Fisherman Jumper. Some have become utility, some have become comfort (older ones especially). I love these because they are simple enough to go with anything and everything, are warm and these are the best basic jumpers on the market (believe me, I looked everywhere) 


These come in a multitude of colours, perfect for any mood or outfit. to be honest if I could wear this through summer I would. To date, I have about five, but I will always buy more, because why the hell not?!

My favourite colour, that I buy in bulk are the Navy and the Vintage Grey, these go with everything. Jeans, light or dark, ditzy floral patterns and bold botanical prints make you feel casual. Pair it with a collared shirt and a pair of peg leg trousers and your fine for any type of meeting. You'd be a fool to not get in on this game. 

Emotional Jumpers
When you think about quirky jumpers my first and only thought is of one genius man. Markus Lupfer.
 Having cultivated the label for four years, he is the reason so many jumpers are embellished with slogans that can only make you smile. 
I love the relaxed shape and the humour that all of his jumpers imparts, you can be as professional as you like with a mandarin collar shirt or tunic underneath, but you will make yourself (and others) smile, which is exactly what everyone needs in this miserable weather!

You can get this jumper from here




Comfort Jumpers
When I think of comfort jumpers (when not thinking about my trusty fisherman jumper) I often think of jumpers I have acquired for free (of course) over the course of my life. My favourite of these are the trusted cricket whites; that are warm, slouchy and just like a hug. 
They, because of their colour again go with most things but aside from cricket, should only be used for casual purposes. (Shops, Brunch, Lunch, etc.)
Mine is my Dad's old jumper, so I can't show you where to get it. John Lewis (Of course) has an excellent selection of cricket jumpers that will soon become your comforting favourite.

Well I certainly feel a bit better, I hope you do too. I'm ready for you wind and rain (no, I'm not at all)

No comments:

Post a Comment