Friday 25 July 2014

High Street Heroes: July

Who doesn't love the high street?! If you say you don't you are clearly lying. I can often be found in blissful abandon amongst the aisles of Topshop. I am not the only one, I bump into too many friends in Topshop Oxford Circus to suggest I am alone in this endeavour. 

My bank account and SENSE (actual voice of my mother there) dictate that for most of us, at least 3/4 of our beloved wardrobe is decorated with the spoils of the high street. So you may as well embrace it. 

We spend an insane amount of money on the high street and online (guilty and guilty) and I've yet to find either of the Westfield's empty at any time of the day or night. It's only right that I spend a little bit of time blogging about it as much as I talk about it. 

So I thought it would be in everyone's interests if I picked my best on the high street for this month:


I have already spoken about how much this store means to most people of our generation. You are definitely lying if you say you haven't at least one thing from one of their many collections hanging in your wardrobe. I have often spoken about the delights of the store and I am not about to stop now. Topshop have the knack of reacting quickly to trends. Many of the colour palettes and silhouettes seen at the AW14 fashion weeks quietly and quickly found themselves on the shelves of the store that doesn't need much of a reason for us to form an orderly queue.   

New in this month are these wonderfully smart Pink peg leg trousers. I am a fan of a pair peg leg trousers. I tend to wear mine with plimsolls and an oversized t-shirt. If the weather is a little intermittent I will throw on an oversized Kimono. If you needed to smarten them up (maybe for a work meeting, etc.) An oversized Shirt and a pair of loafers or slippers will do the trick. It doesn't hurt either that these are chicest shade of pink. Pink and straight-laced sensible trousers should always have an element of fun; and these have that in spades! Get them here

American Apparel is just for basics. The best Jumpers, The easiest to wear sleeveless shirts that will go with everything. Plain and simple. I go there for most of my sweatshirts and  signature Fisherman jumpers. At the moment I am in love their leather pochette is so useful and is deceptively large. 
It carries my phone, large purse (it makes me feel like a grown up), my make up bag and my Moleskine Diary with ease and without looking bulky. A new summer staple 
Get it here



Zara are the fast fashion provider on the high street. A few years ago this store took me by surprise. I walked in and have stayed ever since. The clothes are just beautiful. Wonderfully cut I often find their collections are the most like the coveted collections of Celine and Balenciaga that I wish I could adorn my wardrobe with. This skirt is wonderfully simple and chic. Like the Peg leg trousers this would go wonderfully with a plain t shirt, plimsolls and a lightweight cardigan. A bit like a luxe sport-kit from your school days, you know it makes sense!
Get it here


I often forget about New Look and whenever I go in, I am always happily surprised. They are the dark horse on the high street and I love them for it. I have a bought a lot from them in the last few months and I end up bringing them out more often than I thought I would. 
They are reliable and excellent for fast fashion.
I have already spoken of my love for co-ords and this burgundy graphic floral set is no exception. Short suits are needed in this sweltering heat and these look amazing with a pair of plimsolls (can you tell I have a lot of plimsolls?) a crisp white shirt, a top knot and bare legs. A winning combination. 
Get the Kimono Jacket here and the flared shorts here 


So happy trawling. I've gone through my best picks on the high street, you may agree or disagree. One thing is for certain. We'll all have a lot of fun looking! 

Bring on August! 

No comments:

Post a Comment